Thursday, January 28, 2010

The End User

I was watching TED Talks today on my break. This one is called a warm embrace and is about cheaper incubators for developing worlds:



I was struck by the fact that she went back to the end user, looked at the needs, looked at the most simplest way to do what needed to be done, and didn't pay any attention to what had already been created. Awesome.

This speaker obviously loves her job and loves the difference she makes.

I realized that is what I am looking for in my life. Somewhere where I make a difference in a life, somewhere where I am encouraged to think outside the box--to not worry about what has been done--but to focus on the needs of the end user. This notion could work for anything, not just creating a new product--but also for marketing, writing, ads, my life.

I may be the end user of my life, but you are affected. So how can I live my life where it makes a difference to you? Especially if I don't know you? Does it really come back to doing what you love? Can you always do that? Will the money follow?

Maybe the question I need to ask is: What do I really need? Can I separate it from what I want?

I really need to help people, make a difference through sharing something that will change their lives.

Is there a job title that fits that description?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive