Thursday, September 22, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

We had a huge bag of broccoli and Eric and I couldn't eat it quick enough. Before it turned, I decided to look up some recipes with broccoli.

I went to my go to online source and found: Broccoli Cheese Soup

So here's the catch--I'm not big on velveta cheese and I like some spice. I ended up adapting it like this:

What you'll need:
2 onions, chopped
2 T EVOO
2 garlic cloves
2 T butter
2 lbs of chopped broccoli
3/4 cup red lentils
3 red jalapenos, roughly chopped with seeds removed (use green if you don't have red)
4 tsp chicken bouillon
4 cups of water
14 oz of cheese (I used 10 oz of colby/jack cheese, 3 oz of Gloucester with onion and chives, 1 oz of red Leicester), cubed into small bits
2 cups of rice milk
1 cup of potato starch

Heat pan on medium heat. Add EVOO. Saute onions for 8 minutes. Add garlic. Saute a few minutes longer. Add broccoli. Add jalapenos. Add butter. Saute 5 minutes more. Heat up a cup of water and melt chicken bouillon in water. Add to pot with rest of water. Add lentils. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Lower heat and add 1 cup of milk and cheese. Simmer until all cheese is melted, stirring frequently. With last cup of cold milk, mix potato starch in until blended, then slowly stir into soup until thickened. Warm through.

Serve with Gluten free (or normal) bread or on a baked potato.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive